Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Rubik's Blog

I’m sure we have all seen one of those colorful cube-shaped puzzles.  The majority of all of you have even played around and attempted to solve one.  Then there are still a lot of you who have successfully solved one of the sides (doesn’t matter whether it was red, yellow, orange, blue, green or white…a side is a side).  But, I’m quite sure that very few of you have ever seen one completely solved (I’m talking in real life, that scene where Will Smith solves one in the Pursuit of Happiness doesn’t count).  Here is the real question though; how many of you have successfully solved one from start to finish by yourself?  I have (yes, I am bragging a bit).

I enjoy puzzles, from Sudoku to the standard jigsaw (there is currently a 1000 piece Planet Earth puzzle on my counter…it is extremely difficult).  I guess finishing one gives me an opportunity to self-aggrandize (I love this term and decided I wanted to try to use it more) myself.  Anyways, about 2 years ago I decided I wanted to purchase one of these Rubik’s Cubes which were oh so popular in the 80’s.  After a few weeks of frustration, only able to get one side solved at a time, I went to the Internet for guidance.  Some of the sites out there just gave you detailed step by step instructions; they didn’t really teach you how to solve the puzzle.  I wanted to learn, so I found a site that broke down the mathematical algorithms used and I taught myself how to use them to crack the code of the cube.  I can still solve it since I taught myself how, instead of just following steps.  Maybe someday you can watch as I marvel you with my Rubik’s Cube solving talents.

It’s been fun knowing how to solve it.  Friends would attempt to mess it up beyond solving (which is impossible without actually changing the stickers on the cube).  One time my Rubik’s Cube solving ability was even used to get a Buffalo Wild Wings waitress’s number (I didn’t follow up, I never follow up on a waitress’s number, I feel bad because I only ask for them out of peer pressure or bets).  There were even times while drinking where others would see how many drinks I could have while still being able to still solve the cube (I’ve solved it after 4, but I’ve never attempted 5 because interest is usually lost by the other drinkers).  The only other “game” that pops to mind is how fast I could solve it.  I’m not 100% sure, but I believe my fastest time is 1 minute 42 seconds.  This is by no means a World Record, but still kind of impressive.

This Fancy Cube Goes for Approximately $68.00

 Like I said previously, the Rubik’s Cube was wildly popular in the 80’s (along with big hair and shoulder pads).  There have been many different types designs from pastel colors to Transformers (I want this one) to even a Juicy Couture one.  The Juicy Couture one is actually what inspired this blog.  I was on a business trip and my manager, coworkers and I were at the mall in the Lord & Taylor store looking at how expensive things were there.  We happened by a stand with a bunch of overly priced trinkets, among them was a Rubik’s Cube by Juicy Couture (for $68).  I picked one up and was messing with it and started to solve it.  My manager and coworkers were just standing there watching as I solved the extremely expensive cube.  They were wowed; none of them had seen somebody solve one before.  Now I’m going to lie and say that because of my puzzle solving abilities my manager gave me a huge raise.  I tell this lie because it betters the story.  My apologies for the seemingly abrupt ending to this blog post, but I fear I don’t have much more to discuss about the Rubik’s Cube.  Don’t disregard my blog too quickly though.  I promise the next post will be a good one.  Here is a small hint…Electric Mayhem.

-LD

No comments:

Post a Comment