Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Great Muppet Blog

Firstly, I would like to thank any of you who actually did read my last blog post.  If you did, you would’ve seen that the last line had a hint to what this blog post’s topic would be and that hint was Electric Mayhem.  If you knew that Electric Mayhem (also known as Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem) was the name of the Muppet rock band lead by Dr. Teeth and featuring Animal on drums.  I just want to give a bit of a heads up because this post is going to be more of a high overview on my outlook on Muppets.  There are bound to be many posts to come that are Muppet themed.  In fact, expect at least one more Muppet themed one before Christmas (I literally just decided that the 12 days before Christmas I’m going to do a daily series called the 12 Christmas Movie Specials of Christmas). 


This topic was actually inspired by a young man who will not be named (Jason Simon…that’s right, I went back and decided to name names, so what) who saddened me when he confessed to not knowing who the Swedish Chef was (Bork, bork, bork).   It was after a recital and like usual the family had prepared and set out a few refreshments (I do not recall what all exactly was included in the spread).  Anyways, something came up about Swedish meatballs, and I began to quote the Swedish Chef with my best, “Bork, bork, bork” impression.  All those in the circle either giggled or at least smirked, except this young lad.  He had more of a quizzical look on his face.  I then felt the need to respond to his quizzical look by explaining my impression, “Ya know, the Swedish Chef…from the Muppets.”  He admitted then and there that he was unfamiliar with the Muppets and that he especially did not know who the Swedish Chef was.  I little bit of me may have died right then because I had been living under the assumption that everybody knew about the Muppets.  It has become my mission to inform the world…ok, just those who may happen upon this blog.

I LOVE the Muppets.  I feel if you didn’t watch Disney or Muppets (Sesame Street counts) as a child you were deprived and that is some form of abuse.   The Muppets are the definite puppet embodiment of true friendship.  Don’t let me forget to mention that they are also exceptionally entertaining, from songs and grand musical numbers to wit and one liners to the just plain wacky.  I’ve tried to see as much of the Muppet entertainment there is, but I must confess I fall short.  There are a few specials I haven’t seen and quite a few episodes of The Muppet Show, Muppet Babies, Muppets Tonight and even some of the YouTube videos (though Bohemian Rhapsody was amazing, link included http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgbNymZ7vqY).   I’m trying not to go into too much detail for fear of boring you the reader (but how could the Muppets ever be boring?).  As I said earlier, this is just a high overview.


I must confess; my library of Muppet entertainment is pretty skimpy.  I have only one physical movie which is It’s a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie.  I picked it up for 6 bucks and it came with a 9 track Christmas CD.  That was the highlight of my day.  I also have just the first season of the Muppet Show.  I’ve seen season 3 (Fozzie Bear is on the cover) in the stores but refuse to purchase it until I have season 2 (Miss Piggy is on the cover).  I have never seen season 2, but others have so I know it exists.  I do have both Muppets take Manhattan and Muppets from Space sitting in my Netflix instant queue (side note, I love Netflix too).  I really need to get the other main movies though.  Firstly, Muppets Christmas Carol if I can get it before Christmas, then Muppet Treasure Island, gotta love Cabin Fever, then Great Muppet Caper, the first Muppet Movie I saw, and finally, the Muppet Movie.  I’ve seen them all and they are all worth a view.

While we are on the topic of movies I have a nugget of info for all of you fellow Muppet fans.  Some of you may know of Jason Segel, if not he is Marshall on How I Met Your Mother, he was in I Love You Man, he is the guy you showed his dong like 9 times in Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and he has been in lots of other things.  If you are a fan of his, or Muppets, then you will be excited as I was to hear that he is working on a brand new Muppet movie.  One of the rumored titles is The Greatest Muppet Movie.  But if the title isn’t enough, here is a quick list of rumored actors and actresses whether it be cameo or larger role; Amy Adams, Zach Galifianakis, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Rashida Jones, Mickey Rooney, Ricky Gervais, Billy Crystal, Charles Grodin, Rachael Ray, and of course Jason Segel.  I’m totally pumped for this film due out in theaters sometime in 2011.  If this news of upcoming Muppet awesomeness did not put a smile on your face than you sir or madam are cold and may not have a soul.

I would like all to know that this was typed while I was wearing my Kermit the Frog shirt, because it’s not easy being green (my shirt doesn’t say that though).  I hope this wasn’t too high of an overview, I promise to get more into Muppet detail in time.  I also didn’t want 2 old men in the balcony to start heckling me.  I was also worried I’d miss my poker game with Rizzo, Gonzo, and Pepe okay?  I also didn’t want to forget to leave time to give Lips, Janice, and Sergeant Floyd Peppers a lift to band practice.  Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker also wanted me to lend them a hand on an experiment.  Not to mention Scooter keeps bugging me about other things I have on my schedule with Sam Eagle, Sweetums and Rowlf.  Until another time I guess readers.

Waka, Waka, Waka

-LD

No comments:

Post a Comment