Friday, December 17, 2010

Christmas Blogcation

You guessed it, Christmas Vacation.  This is probably one of my favorite Christmas movies of all time.  This is one of those few Christmas movies that could easily be considered just a good movie.  I have watched the Griswolds every year since I can remember.  In fact (and I know my friend Nate can attest to this), one Christmas season not too long ago, I was searching online and on the Dish to see when they would show Christmas Vacation and on what channel so I wouldn’t miss it.  My tireless search came to no avail and I was unable to locate a time this movie would be aired.  I did the only thing that I could.  I went to Wal-Mart and I walked straight to the DVD section, found it, and purchased it.  Once I was back at the apt I immediately opened it up and Nate and I watched it.  That is how important this Christmas Special is to me.


I am willing to make the bold statement of saying that Christmas Vacation is Chevy Chase’s best movie.  In fact, Chevy Chase has earned a pass for life for me just because of his performance in Christmas Vacation.  Sure, he has had some pretty bad cameos and guest starring roles like in Chuck (really bad, I swear).  Even is role in Community is really only mediocre.  I’m sure the last one could make some a little perturb but this is my blog and my opinions so deal with it.  Seriously, whenever I watch this movie I have to fight myself from saying all of Clark’s (Chevy Chase’s character) lines.  So much of this movie is quotable.  In fact, you all need to watch this movie so I can feel free to quote it whenever and you will know what I’m quoting.  I hate it when I quote movies and TV shows and nobody knows what I’m quoting (some of the main ones are Seinfeld, Arrested Development, South Park, Tommy Boy, and especially Dumb and Dumber…if you haven’t watched Dumb and Dumber your job is to watch that after Christmas Vacation).

It seems everybody in Clark’s family is crazy, but none more than is cousin in-law Eddie.  As it turns out, Eddie is crazy in real life.  I’m not sure if any of you heard about this but about a month or so ago Randy Quaid, who played Eddie, and his wife were on their way to Canada to seek asylum.  Turns out he and his wife were arrested for residential burglary and illegal squatting.  It cost them a tidy little price of $500,000 for bail, which they lost due to their Canadian escape.  What could possibly make these too run from California to Canada?  I have 2 words for you: “Star Whackers”.  Apparently Cousin Eddie is convinced that there is a secret society in Hollywood and they have a hit list.  His theory is that they have been the ones behind many of the recent Hollywood deaths, including Heath Ledger’s.  Quaid is certain that he is next on the hit list.  I know that we shouldn’t be laughing because there are really only too possible options here and neither is funny.  Option number 1 is that Quaid is wrong and thus he is crazy and mental illness is not a laughing matter.  But the other option is much more grave and serious.  What if he is right and there is a Hollywood hit list being carried out by the “Star Whackers”.  Who is going to be next?  Jaleel White (Urkel)? Jonathon Taylor Thomas?  The Hanson Brothers?  I believe we need a federal investigation before something happens to these stars.

Cousin Eddie (in keeping with my keeping my blog clean I won't quote the line he is in the middle of saying)

Enough with conspiracy theory, there are so many classic scenes that I could literally discuss each and every one of them.  Instead I will choose the one of which I have the most fond memories.  That would be the sledding scene where Clark adds a super friction reducer to his sled and goes flying down the hill at exceptionally dangerous speeds.  This is brings back memories of my childhood.  I remember going sledding and my dad trying to make our sleds go faster.  He never found that super friction reducer but he did try (he tried Pam Cooking Spray, and different brands of silicone spray).  None of his attempts gave quite the same result as Clark’s but of course, that was a movie.  I know that following up Cousin Eddie’s conspiracy theory about the Hollywood hit list and the “Star Whackers” is pretty weak, but that is just really hard to follow.  I could’ve changed the order around but I wanted my blog to be more natural an organic so it is staying just like this.

 Mele Kalikimaka

-LD

No comments:

Post a Comment