Monday, December 20, 2010

Does Everyone Know What Time it is? Blog Time!!!

No, this isn’t a post about Home Improvement or Tool Time (which was actually a part of Home Improvement) but it is a post about the Santa Clause series.  The connection if you haven’t made it already is that Tim Allen is the star of both.  That’s right, the Tool Man replaced his Neanderthalic grunts for jolly ho ho ho’s.  He traded in his hot rod for a shining red sleigh with 8 reindeer power.  He’s trading in Al for a sidekick elf name Bernard.  He gave up his shop full of tools for a workshop full of working elves and toys.  I could keep going but they really only make sense if you have seen both and I question how popular they are with my blog audience.

That all being said, I know many probably don’t care much for the Santa Clause but my mother thinks it is pretty swell so I have bought for her the first 2 (she admits to not caring much for the 3rd).  I must agree with her that the first two are pretty good as far as feature Christmas movies go.  Now, for me it is always difficult to please me when you are dealing with Santa.  As you may have noticed from previous posts, I have pretty strong feelings about how I like my Santa portrayed. Luckily for the Tool Man, he didn’t screw up the part.  They also did a good job of keeping the general Santa story intact as far as the elves and the milk and cookies and reindeer.  Sometimes when a movie takes their own idea about Santa they end up changing too much which turns me off to the whole concept.  This one was very unique and even I was able to get into it and support it.  I was also surprised at how jolly Tim Allen was once he put on the Christmas suit.  Though, now that I think about it, I shouldn’t have been.

Tim the Toy Man Taylor (lame I know)

Tim Allen not only did the 3 Santa Clause movies but he was also in another Christmas movie, Christmas with the Kranks (base on Grisham’s novel Skipping Christmas).  Granted, he does play a bit of a scrooge in the film but it is still a Christmas movie.  But that was after the Santa Clause movie.  What should have led me on to Tim’s ability to be full of Christmas cheer was Home Improvement.  I do believe that ther was a Christmas episode every year.  Most of them focusing around Tim’s obsession to win the neighborhood lights contest (usually his were over the top and extreme and he lost to some doctor).  Now, I’m not going to give Tim Allen a pass for life like I did Chevy Chase, but I would give him a many hug with 3 back pats for his roles in these Christmas flicks. Now, regardless of how you feel about Tim Allen as a standup comedian or actor, the fact remains that the Santa Clause can be considered up there in the top Christmas movies that were released in theaters along with the likes of Christmas Vacation, Jim Carrey’s Grinch and Christmas Carol, Elf, and various others (I really haven’t seen as many as I would like but I hear Fred Clause is good too).

Bernard the Elf (or the Dude from Numb3rs)

I know this is one of my shorter Christmas Special posts but I have a confession to make.  I know this is a public blog so it isn’t a secret, just a confession.  As you may know, it is well into the evening on December 20, 2010 and I have yet to begin wrapping presents.  I also have to completely clean house before any guests arrive which will definitely be on Christmas and maybe even before.  Instead of focusing anymore time on this I will begin to clean.  Hopefully I can get enough of a head start on cleaning that I can have time to wrap presents tomorrow (also, I have to wrap whatever my dad has bought for my mother).  Luckily, I have completed all of my Christmas shopping (even though one item isn’t due to arrive until Christmas Eve).  So with all this I hope you forgive how I rushed this blog.

Something clever involving Tim Allen and Christmas

-LD

1 comment: