Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Buddy the Elf, What's Your Favorite Blog?

As you may have noticed, I have been putting the word blog in all of my titles.  Some of them fit nicely and others (like this one) seem pretty forced, like a square peg in a round hole.  I tell you this so you won’t judge them by their title, because it isn’t easy slipping the word blog into all of these titles.  I’m sure there was a better title I could’ve used, but it is too late now so don’t judge and just read.

If you haven’t seen the movie Elf, then you are indeed missing out.  It was an instant classic and probably one of Will Ferrel’s best movies.  Actually, it is one of Will Ferrel’s best movies.  Don’t get me wrong, I think Will (that’s right, I’m on a first name basis with him) is hilarious but some of his movies are only ok.  Anchorman was a bit disappointing (though I did have high expectations for this one), Semi-Pro, Blades of Glory, Land of the Lost, Step Brothers, and Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (even though the knife in the leg scene gets me every time) aren’t what you would exactly call great movies.  I did however thoroughly enjoy The Other Guys and I thought Will’s performance in Stranger Than Fiction was quite good.  But I’m not typing this out to rip on some of Will’s other movies; I’m typing this out to discuss his role as Buddy the Elf.


Buddy gives us many great quotable lines throughout the movie (who of us hasn’t answered the phone, “Buddy the elf, what’s your favorite color?”).  One of my personal favorites is actually said to Buddy by the claymation whale with the unicorn horn.  This happens when Buddy first leaves the North Pole and the whale says in a deep voice, “Bye Buddy, hope you find your dad.”  I don’t know why but I the way he says that.  There is actually a shirt depicting this scene that I kind of want to buy.  What do I mean kind of, I do want to buy it, I just don’t want to drop 20 bucks on a t-shirt.  I do have a pretty cool Christmas Story shirt that shows the kid with his tongue stuck to the pole and it says I triple dog dare you.  And back to Elf, my apologies for that brief tangent about my wardrobe.

My dad likes Elf as well.  For those of you who don’t know my father I must tell you that he doesn’t watch much TV or movies, so when he finds something he likes he quotes the crap out of it, randomly. We spent an entire family vacation saying, “How ya doin’” back and forth because it was on some beer commercial (there is a pretty good story about this involving a mama black bear and her cubs).  I tell you this so as to give you background for this story.  Earlier this year I was with my dad at Home Depot shopping for tools and what not for the patio we built (connected to my current dwellings).  My dad felt this was a good time to start quoting the movie.  He began in a very boisterous voice to sing the following words in a fashion imitating Will in the movie; “My name is Buddy, I’m singing, I’m in a store and I’m siiiiiingiiiiiing, I’m in a store, and I’m siiiiiingiiiiing!”  My father continued this for several minutes, trying to get others in Home Depot to notice in a failed attempt to embarrass me.  The moral of this story is this; if you are easily embarrassed, don’t go in public with my dad.

Jovie

Will isn’t the only star of Elf and I’m not talking about James Caan or Bob Newhart.  That’s right; I’m talking about Zooey Deschanel.  Isn’t she just so pretty?  She also has a lovely singing voice.  I also like her as an actress.  Am I gushing?  I feel like I may be gushing.  Well, who can blame me, right?  Well, I really like Zooey’s (I’m not really on a first name basis with her, I just wish I was) characters name in Elf, Jovie.  I like it because it is unique.  Every other cute girl in a Christmas movie is named Holly, Eve, Noel, or Belle (also Joy, but that is too close to Jovie to help prove my point).  I like it, it sounds jovial (I know, don’t worry, I realize why).   Also, Zooey’s character Jovie (spoiler alert) is the one who starts singing and gets everybody’s Christmas Cheer back up so Santa’s sleigh will work again making her somewhat of a Christmas Heroine (female hero, not the other one).  Now I kind of want to go watch it for the 2nd and a half time this year (the first time I started it and didn’t finish).

“Bye reader, hope you enjoyed this post” (said in the style of the whale with the unicorn horn)

-LD

1 comment:

  1. Its a Narwal. The whale with a unicorn horn is called a Narwal...and theyre totally real. Just sayin. Ps I enjoyed this ramble, lol

    ReplyDelete