Sunday, December 19, 2010

Friends Call Me Blog Miser

If any one of you called me on my cell phone right now I would be altered with a ringtone of FM Static’s cover of Snow Miser.  This is because The Year Without a Santa Claus is my favorite Christmas Special.  I’m not saying it is the best Christmas Special, but it is my favorite.  The reason for that is mainly because of the Snow Miser and the Heat Miser (which Thousand Foot Crutch did a rockin’ cover of the Heat Miser song).  I’m not sure why but I truly enjoy their portion in the special.  Also, this special has my favorite version of Santa (the only reason it isn’t the one from Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town is because that Santa is young throughout the majority of the special).  Well, guess that’s enough of an intro, let us dive in shall we?

I want to start off by defending Santa in his decision to take a holiday and skip Christmas.  Firstly, it was the elf doctor who told him that he should spend the day at home recovery from a bad cold.  Granted, he was a very scroogey elf doctor, but Santa was just following doctor’s orders.  Also, how old is Santa by then anyways?  I work for a retirement company and I can tell you one thing for certain, Santa is way past retirement age.  Sure, we all know Santa is magic but there is only so much magic can do to prevent the aging process, look at Dumbledore (also, I do not support the way ABC Family always shows Harry Potter during its 25 Days of Christmas).  Even if we take Santa’s age out of the equation, how many of us can claim we have enough of a work ethic to never take a vacation from work or school?  If you said you do then I will call you out as a liar right now.  We all need a break to recharge our batteries no matter what it is we are doing.  Also, even though he is obviously under the weather he still goes after Jingle and Jangle Bells (by the way, those are the best names for 2 elves ever) and little Vixen when they go to find some Christmas Spirit.  This act proves that Santa isn't completely selfish.  Also, Santa sings that song I had previously mentioned in another blog about how he believes in Santa like he believes in love.  Now, does that sound like a man who doesn't deserve a holiday?

Snow Miser and Heat Miser (in respective order)

Now, I can totally look past the fact that the main kid, Iggy, is a ginger.  Guess it is because of the Christmas Season also, the Snow and Heat Miser just the special for me.  I realize the songs they sing aren’t by any means masterpieces or really all that clever.  All I do know about those songs is that they are darn catchy and I love them (thus the ringtone).  Heck, it could’ve been these songs that subconsciously made me decide to play the trombone (heavily featured in the songs).  It was these songs that began my love for these two characters, so when they were given their own Christmas Special on ABC Family I had to watch it (and DVR it).  Now, the Miser Brothers’ Christmas wasn’t really everything I had hoped it would be.  The updated animation had me thrown off a bit and I couldn’t get past how much the North Wind (the bad guy in the special) looked like Jay Leno.  I could’ve gotten past the resemblance if Jay Leno would’ve done the voice for the North Wind.  I guess I just had too high of standards for the new Miser Brothers special.  Luckily, it didn’t tarnish my love for the original Heat and Snow Misers in the least bit.  I must be honest, of the two I prefer Snow Miser.  That is probably because physically I look more like the Snow Miser (tall and lanky) who is quite the devilishly handsome miser if I do say so myself.

Jay Leno...oops, I mean North Wind (see the confusion?)

Spoiler Alert: Santa doesn’t end up taking a holiday and Christmas goes on as planned.  You see, Mrs. Claus and the gang go through all this trouble to get people to let him have a holiday.  In doing this, the world reminds Santa of why he does Christmas in the first place.  There is a great scene where they show kids of every nation preparing Christmas presents.  Also, the best use of the song Blue Christmas is used in this special.  I don’t know about you, but when Santa blows his nose like a trumpet blast and tells the elves to prepare the sled for Christmas it brings a little tear of joy to my eye (my left eye to be exact).  I’m sure this is the Christmas Special that got me hooked on them and I can’t imagine a year without watching a Year Without a Santa Claus ( I know, a little lame and corny but if you know me at all then you know I had to type it).

There'll be no year without a Santa Claus,

-LD

No comments:

Post a Comment