Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Cheesy Blog

“So, I’ve been thinking about it…and it would be very hard for me to turn down anything that has the words ‘double cheese’ in it.”  This is a quote from a very grate man. (Get it?  Grate instead of great because you grate cheese.  It was a good pun and you know it.)  Ok, fine, I’m the one who said it.  I recall it was after lunch at Arby’s with the Thomas family.  Arby’s, at the time, had a double cheese Texas Toast sandwich which I had partaken in at lunch.  I had made the quoted remark to my, at the time, roommate Nate Thomas.  At first he looked at me like I was going to say something very prolific and thought provoking.  Well, I guess in a way I did.

Cheese is pretty amazing if you stop and think about it.  There are so many varieties of cheese; Swiss, Provolone, Cheddar, American, Colby, Jack, Parmesan, Mozzarella, Nacho, Government, and so on.  Cheese is also one of a few food items that are actually added to other foods to make them taste better.  Joining cheese in that category are; gravy, chocolate, and bacon (I believe Jim Gaffigan has covered the topic of bacon quite well enough so I won’t go into detail).  I myself never fell for the cheese and broccoli scam but numerous kids are tricked into eating broccoli every year just by the addition of cheese.  Even in high school I along with loads of fellow classmates would use nacho cheese to better our bland school lunches.  My high school (Churubusco High School) had started to offer nachos as a lunch alternative.  The nachos only consisted of a small bag of tortilla chips and packet of nacho cheese (which could be purchased separately).  We would purchase these nacho packets separately and add them to a variety of main dishes.  I applied nacho cheese to a variety of items such as; the cheeseburger, chili dog, grilled chicken, tacos, and more.  My classmates even applied nacho cheese to even more than me, including the mac & cheese. (Now I can’t help but think about mac & cheese, I know I had something else about adding cheese to make food taste better).  Also, parmesan shakers…enough said.

I do love mac & cheese.  If mac & cheese is offered as a side dish at a restaurant, you can just about guarantee that I’m going to select it.  I’ve sampled a variety of mac & cheeses, from restaurants to carry-ins to out of a box (or cup be it Kraft Easy Mac).  I must admit though that the best mac & cheese I have ever had the pleasure of eating is the Davis Family Baked Mac & Cheese.  This specialty is only prepared for the major holidays and it is always a hit.  When I was a kid I would go back for extra mac & cheese instead of dessert (I’m not a big dessert fan anyway).  I actually recently just made my first batch of this family secret (it was delicious and I ate it all…by myself).  To put it plainly, mac & cheese is flat out good, whether it is homemade or comes in a Kraft blue box.


My Batch of the Davis Family Baked Mac & Cheese

I will wrap up this blog with a little advice.  Quality counts, so don’t settle for Kroger brand American cheese slices…get the Kraft, your taste buds will thank me (that’s right, thank me not you).  Also, when you are making hillbilly nachos, don’t skimp on the cheese (this tip applies to more than just hillbilly nachos).  Make sure every chip is covered with cheese, whether it is Cheddar, Colby Jack, or the Mexican blend.  Finally, when at a restaurant, cheese is always worth the extra charge.  Whether it be for your burger or scrambled eggs, go ahead and add cheese.  I’m dead serious about all of these tips.  Sincerely, I’d like to thank all 2 of you who read this.

[In the style of Ron Burgundy]

Stay Cheesy Blog Readers  (I had to)

1 comment:

  1. OMG ! Where have you been all my life !? I feel like the moon because your a cheesy holey man!! \

    ReplyDelete