Thursday, December 23, 2010

Blogging All the Way

“Cookies? Who told you you could eat my cookies!?  Put that cookie down, NOW!!” (I really hope somebody was eating a cookie while reading this).  If you were unable to figure out the topic from the title or that hilarious quote, which is funnier in Governor Schwarzenegger’s accent, then I guess I will just tell you.  The 11th Christmas Special being discussed in this series is Jingle All the Way (Thanks to a suggestion from Brad Thomas).  I just want to make one more quick mention of that opening quote; Governor Schwarzenegger yelling about cookies is immensely funnier then him shouting about getting to some chopper, and that isn’t just my opinion, it is scientific fact.

If you haven’t seen this film the main thing you need to know is that Governor Schwarzenegger (yes, I will be referring to him as that for the rest of the post) and Sinbad are two fathers after a sold out toy, a Turbo Man doll (or action figure).  Now, the Turbo Man was essentially like a Power Ranger.  If you were a little boy in the 90’s, you know how popular, cool, and awesome they were.  Well, take and combine Power Rangers with Tickle Me Elmo and you may come close to the popularity of what a Turbo Man doll has in this movie.  Turbo Man is bigger than big and hilarious situations occur while the two fathers pursue this hot, sold out item.  Nothing special as far as plot goes, as I’ve just told you, but teaming up Governor Schwarzenegger with Sinbad is genius, like teaming up Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor (who is not the father of Terrelle Pryor, one of 5 Ohio State football players who likes to sell off his awards).

Is it the Governor or is it Turbo Man?

One of the real keys to this match up isn’t Governor Schwarzenegger’s accent or his large rippling muscles, but instead it is Sinbad’s comedic timing and rants.  Yes, Sinbad who some thought was dead not too long ago (he is still alive).  In fact, I just saw his recent special on DVD.  I enjoyed this in my managers van on the way back home from my first business trip (I had special training to take in the Chicago area).  One of my fellow co-workers had brought it and if I do say so myself, Sinbad is still hilarious.  But that isn’t very Christmasy.  I have something Sinbad related that is Christmasy though, and it is not Jingle All the Way.  Every year my dad’s company throws a big Christmas party up in Michigan.  What would a GFS Christmas party have to do with Sinbad?  Really?  You haven’t figured it out?  Ok, I will tell you.  Sinbad was there.  No, he isn’t the newest night transit driver for GFS, but instead he was the entertainment and did a private show for all of the GFS employees.  Now, that is pretty exciting and both my mother and father thought he was hilarious.  In fact, my mom even got a bit of it on her camera and let me watch and it was good.  Hopefully I will be able to post the video on this blog.  If not, I apologize in advance for enticing you with the thought of a video clip and disappointing you when there isn’t a clip posted.


I feel like I’ve got myself a bit of a conundrum.  See, I don’t want my blog to take too long to read; otherwise it seems more like a burden to read instead of entertaining.  That having been said, if I am able to add the video that’s an extra 3 minutes added to blog time.  Instead of going on more about Turbo Man and the Governator (you knew it was going to happen sometime) I think I will make this my concluding paragraph.  That way by blog doesn’t seem to blog down your day (get it? Blog down instead of bog down.  That was punny and you know it, see, punny instead of funny since it was a pun).  Yep, that’ll do pig.
It’s Turbo Time,

-LD

1 comment:

  1. I have not seen Jingle All The Way, but I have seen a Sinbad special and I think he's very funny.

    I once had a fruitcake that consisted mostly of candied cherries, cinnamon and pecans and it was amazing!

    Jimmy Buffett also has an excellent song calld "Fruitcakes" http://www.lyricstime.com/jimmy-buffett-fruitcakes-lyrics.html

    I did not know that they made a special based on "Grandma got Run Over by a Reindeer", and truthfully, had I known, I probably would have avoided it like the plague. But since you reccommend it, if I ever get a chance to watch it, I will curb my desire to run away screaming for as long as I can stand it.

    ReplyDelete